Truly Madly
... for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Ladybug still isn't walking



Ladybug had her Well-Child checkup today. She is 16 months old and my main concern is the fact that she is not walking. Her language skills are well ahead of her age, and as we all know she's a healthy and a happy girl. At first the doctor didn't seem concerned and reminded me that 16 months is not that unusual, and is most likely related to personality. But when he examined her he noticed several things that made him concerned. He ordered an ultrasound to confirm whether she has developmental dysplasia of the hip, which is a birth defect caused by abnormal development of the hip joint.

First, he noticed that her hip pops when he moves her leg up and down (I had never noticed this). Then he turned her over and saw that she has an extra fold under her rear on one side and her lower body is slightly uneven. It is so slight that I really can't even see it myself. When I walk her around a room she stands on her tippy toes, has a slight limp, and doesn't bear weight on her legs for an extended period of time. These are all signs of this DDH.

If the ultrasound shows that she does have DDH we will be referred to a Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeon. There is a possibility she could need surgery, and she will most likely be put in a spica cast until the upper thighbone moves into the hip socket keeping it in place while the joint grows. This would be followed by physical therapy.

I am getting a little ahead of myself and will take a deep breath and wait for the ultrasound to tell us what exactly is going on, and to what degree. I know she will be okay... ♥ but prayers are more than welcome and greatly appreciated!



He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youth grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strenght
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:29-31


2 comments:

Lora said...

I will be praying for her and you too. I am sure once the ultrasound comes back you can make the best decision for her. Keep me updated!

Carrie said...

Hey Jonna! Praying for her and looking forward to a great update!